The Seventh Wish

This was a curious combination of fantasy (talking fish who grant wishes), fun realistic elements (ice fishing & Irish dancing), along with very real reality (heroin addiction).  As I write that, it seems even more strange than I first thought.

Despite the interesting little mix of genre elements – I really enjoyed this new novel by Kate Messner.  It was actually a perfect combination.  The talking, wish-granting fish provided the necessary lightness to offset the very serious, somber, and terrifying topic of addiction.  This is a topic we don’t often experience in young adult fiction, yet one that continues to become more necessary.  Providing students the opportunity to grow in their understanding and compassion for what others may be going through in a safe way during reading this novel is such an amazing way for us to raise awareness and compassion.

This novel is a stretch from my “normal” reading list – but I am super thankful I picked it up.  Started and finished within 36 hours while being locked in our house due to the Polar Vortex that hit Iowa this week.